o   If you suspect that you or another have been poisoned, call your local poison control center and follow their directions. The appropriate measures to take depend on the toxin involved and the method of ingestion. The professionals who staff these centers will be able to tell you what to do.


o   Keep the telephone number of your local poison control center posted near your telephone. This is particularly important if you have children. Also, keep a bottle of syrup of ipecac, available in drugstores, on hand at all times. However, do not use syrup of ipecac unless specifically directed to do so by a physician or your poison control center.


o   If you are directed to go to the nearest hospital emergency room, take the container of the suspected poison with you, if possible. This can help medical personnel to deal with the situation and save precious time.