EGG : Nutrition

Taste, nutritional value, availability, and the cost make egg universally popular .This traditional breakfast food is also consumed in different forms though out the day. Even though eggs are of animal origin, there are appreciable numbers of “eggetariens” among the vegetarians. Some people even consider unfertilised egg as vegetarian. The eggs of hen, duck, goose, quail, turkey, and turtle are consumed. Among them hen variety is the most popular one.

 

Soft boiled and poached eggs are better than eggs cooked in other ways. The yolk is easily digested even by infants of 9 months old. Eggs are useful in slimming diets since they have only negligible amounts of carbohydrate but plenty of protein, vitamins, and minerals.

Raw albumin contains an anti digestive factor that interferes with digestion. Egg also has a compound called avadin, which react with biotin (Vitamin H) and make it unavailable. Both these factors get destroyed on heating.

Eggs are the ideal nutritive food for the ill and convalescent patients. Those who suffer from gastrointestinal tract disorders, particularly in diseases of the colon eggs are the best food because of their nutritional value and lack of residue.

                          

Nutritive value of an egg

Whole egg contains about 13 per .cent proteins and 13 percent fat and is a good source of vitamin A, riboflavin and vitamin B12.Its cholesterol content is about 498 mg per 100 g. Egg is a good source of iron and phosphorus but a poor source of calcium.

EGG WHITE: – Egg white contains about 11 percent proteins. The chief protein is egg albumin which accounts for 70 per cent of the proteins, the remaining 30 percent being accounted by four other proteins, Uzi, ovoglobulin, ovomucin, co albumin and ovomucoid present in small amounts. Egg white is a good source of riboflavin and contains a heat labile factor called auidin which reacts with biotin and makes it Univac able.

EGG YOLK: – Egg yolk contains about 16 per cent proteins and 31 percent fat. It is a rich source of vitamin A and riboflavin. It contains large amounts of cholesterol (1330 mg/100 g) and is a good source of iron and phosphorus.

 

EGG POWDER:  Egg powder contains about 49 per cent proteins and 43 percent fat and is a good source of vitamin A and riboflavin. It is also rich in cholesterol (3900 mg/100g) and is a good source of iron and phosphorus.

NUTRITIVE VALUE OF EGG PROTEINS: – Egg proteins are good sources of all essential amino-acids and possess the highest nutritive value among dietary proteins. Egg proteins, being rich in S-amino-acids and lysine, supplement effectively the proteins of cow’s milk and of cereals respectively.